Wednesday, November 25, 2009

BAS...Banjo Acquisition Syndrome



As of yesterday another one is added to the flock. A deal I couldn't make myself pass up on a Morgan Monroe Cascade banjo. If you get hooked on bluegrass music, and especially if you play an instrument, then you'll understand what I mean. For me it's the banjo and guitar. I play both, but more on the banjo so that's what I'm always on the lookout for.
Every instrument has it's own voice, you just have to help them find it. Now, this cascade is a pretty good intermediate banjo, and beautiful to look at, but now I have to help it find it's own voice. That's really a big part of the fun. I've already adjusted the head tension, and the coordinator rods to bring the action to where I like it, and tried several bridges of different types and thicknesses. It's still lacking something...that punch or tonal quality I can hear in my head. I think the next thing is to change to a good quality tailpiece, I'm thinking a Kerschner for this banjo, and trying some more bridges, like a Scorpion or Desert Rose. I've had good experiences with both of these in the past.


Anyway, it's that time of year where I put the golf clubs away for the most part, and my tinkering goes into my other passion, the banjo. It's a real challenge to practice and learn new licks, and to get the right sound that I want from different banjos. It's fun, but requires a little patience, so what better way to spend those cold winter days inside.



How about you, do you have a special thing or project that you enjoy working on that brings you pleasure?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Really love all the posts you offer! I am so looking forward to seeing more like them..