Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Philippines...Home Away From Home


So where is your home? I get asked that a few times every now and then, and the old cliche' comes about "home is where you hang your hat". Well, that's just possibly the right answer most of the time.

The Philippines, or "PI" as some call it, is the place I have decided to call home. After several visits there, going from place to place, my home will someday permanently be in Davao. Davao is located in the southern region of the islands, and quite honestly, it has everything I could want.

To me it's like stepping back in time. I imagine back when I was young and coming up, the way the neighbors would visit, the doors would be open, you didn't have to worry about where the kids were every second, because you knew someone would be watching over them. Of course now there's no time for all that, it's work, hurry, drive to the store, hurry, oh let's watch some TV, hurry...get the picture?

When I'm in Davao, I'm more at ease than any time past that I can remember. I love going to the markets to shop, or simply walking downtown. I love waking in the morning to the sound of the rooster, and hearing people already up and about their daily tasks. I like that while I'm having coffee the neighbors are coming around, everybody chatting and visiting, the kids running around the village. And I absolutely love walking through the village in the evening when it's so peaceful, everybody speaking to you, being friendly. It's like they actually take....time to enjoy life.

Is it paradise? No, not for many, just for me. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be missed when I'm there, and there are certainly things I'm not happy about there, but at least to me, the good far outweighs the bad. I'll have many posts about this wonderful place that has become my paradise in the coming days, so stay tuned........

0 comments: