Thursday, December 25, 2008

All That Food !!!

One thing Christmas day has brought to me is a too-full stomach! Waking up this morning, it was phone calls letting me know where to be and when, so around lunch time off I went to my nephew's house. Much of the family was getting together there for an early Christmas dinner, so many people I didn't even know, but the atmosphere was great, holiday spirit, and walking in the smells were out of this world.

After the usual talking and catching up on things it was time to eat. I did not know that my plate would hold this much food all at one time. There was turkey, ham, sweet potatoes with marsh mellows, green beans, deviled eggs, potato salad, and more desert dishes than I could count. I didn't really want to move from the table after I finished all that, not that I wanted more, but that I was afraid to try and move. Oh, but it was good, then of course they packed Tanner a big bag of goodies to bring home, after all he has to have Christmas dinner also!

Then when I actually could move, my sister told me that we were going to my other sister's house for a Christmas dinner once more. What?!? How can I possibly put any more into my stomach? But it was great, there was time in between for some activities, so I was settled down by then. Now, you have to understand, my other sister had a stroke earlier this year, so I've been spending more time there. But of course she's not able to really get around and cook yet, so my brother in law, who will be the first to tell you he's not a cook, made the dinner. As I understand it, she was able to sit at the table and supervise, telling him what goes where, and it really turned out very nice. Once again, ham, green beans, sweet potato casserole, and they had homemade slaw and barbecue, which I love. Almost couldn't hold any fresh pecan pie. There was a corn pudding that I've never had before, but it was delicious.

So then it was back home, and all I wanted to do was lay down. All in all it's been a very good day, not just because I had some great food, but being able to spend time like that with family all together is special. It made my Christmas "merry".

0 comments: