Monday, December 8, 2008

Culture Shock


Ok, so you're thinking about doing some travelling, maybe to a far off place you've only read about so far. If you're new at this, it can be quite exciting, so many new experiences to encounter, but you have to be ready for that "culture shock", depending on where you go.


I have done a bit of travel to places such as Mexico, Philippines, around Europe in years past, and at first it was overwhelming to arrive in a new place, not know the language, the local customs, and try to act in a manner that wouldn't be too out of place. Luckily for me, Uncle Sam introduced me to culture shock in the early 70's, so my past few travels haven't been too much of a change for me.


Some of the biggest obstacles have been adjusting to the weather, (it's hot in the Philippines for example) trying to get through tasks with limited speech skills of a certain place, and being brave enough to try the local food when it's totally not what you're used to. But if you have somewhat of an adventurous spirit, you'll do fine. I love to try anything new, and the foods are one of the things I especially like. So far I haven't been disappointed.


Modes of travel are different also. In the Philippines for example, I've had to try and get used to jeepneys, trisikads, and tricycles as my main transportation. I love it! There's no better way to get close to the people and learn than to jump right in with both feet.


And I have learned about local foods, there are certain things I absolutely love and can't wait to get back to. Yes, there are a few things I've tried and am not crazy to hurry and ask for more :-) but all in all, it's a great experience.


If you do plan to travel to a place such as this, just be ready to enjoy all the different things you will see and do, and be prepared for the "shock" of being somewhere totally out of your element. Don't hesitate to comment or ask questions if there's something you would like to know...

0 comments: