Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tanner and Me


I was just sitting here thinking about all I have to be thankful for, and it came to mind that there is really quite a lot. I have a decent job that I've been at for quite a few years, which even though it sometimes gets pretty stressful, still allows me to have the things I need in life.


Then there's Katherine and the family, which I can't say enough how complete it makes my life. As in everything, there are rough spots and hurdles to cross, but in time things always seem to work out for the best, and I'm truly thankful to have that.


Then of course there's Tanner. In my day to day life here at home, he's the constant presence in everything I do. I had to work the closing shift last night, so I had the whole day here with him and we watched a movie on cinemax that I thought I wouldn't watch after having heard about it, but I'm glad I did. Many of you have probably seen it, the title is "Marley and Me". So with nothing to do but wait until time to go to work, I sat on the couch, with all 120 pounds of Tanner laying across my lap and we began to watch the movie.


For me to say it's a really good movie would be an understatement. I think it was great, even though it brought tears to my eyes toward the end. But that's the reality of life. I kept thinking, it's a movie, they could just write a different ending, but then the reality would have been lost in a big way. Throughout the movie I laughed, watching Marley grow up, and in a lot of ways it was just like my makuilt boy Tanner. The things he did, the way he got into trouble, just like when Tanner ate my Levi's the other morning when I wouldn't get up early enough to suit him, and I watched for 3 days waiting for him to pass the button snap from the waistband; the way he cocked his head while watching me go through his poop, with his eyes wide in astonishment. I'm quite sure the neighbors got a thrill out of that also.


Before Tanner came to his forever home with me, I had a Siberian Huskey, Yukon. That too was just like the movie Marley and Me. I had Yukon for about 11 years and finally old age caught up, and the day came when I too had to sit in the vet's office while he was put to sleep. He couldn't even walk, so I had to carry him inside. But then I've mentioned that before too, so I won't go into details here again. Suffice it to say that it went along with Marley's script to a tee.


I guess the thing is, this is my way of giving tribute to the things that matter to me. I won't ever forget Yukon or the years we had together, and Tanner was truly a Godsend in the aftermath of that loss. If you're a dog person, or a true animal lover then you understand what I say and feel. Tanner is quite contrary at times, hardheaded when he wants to be, but he never meets a stranger, and I wouldn't trade my days with him for anything in the world. He is as my child.
Oh, and if you want to watch a great movie that will make you laugh and cry, try "Marley and Me".

2 comments:

Sandee said...

I understand completely. We have a dog named Little Bit. She's a 90 pound flat coat retriever. She too is our baby. We think of her before we thing of ourselves. She's very special indeed. Just like Tanner is to you.

Have a terrific day. :)

Anonymous said...


fryd extracts store

fryd extracts carts

fryd extracts liquid diamonds disposable

fryd extracts shop

fryd extracts live resin